Be a part of changing lives through the power of a simple gift.
Include items that children will immediately embrace such as dolls, toy cars, stuffed animals, kazoos, harmonicas, yo-yos, jump ropes, balls, toys that light up and make noise (with extra batteries), etc.
- SCHOOL SUPPLIES:
pens, pencils and sharpeners, crayons, markers, notebooks, paper, solar calculators, coloring and picture books, etc.
- NON-LIQUID HYGIENE ITEMS: toothbrushes, bar soap, combs, washcloths, etc.
- ACCESSORIES: t-shirts, socks, hats, sunglasses, hair clips, jewelry, watches, flashlights (with extra batteries), etc.
- A PERSONAL NOTE: You may enclose a note to the child and a photo of yourself or your family. If you include your name and address, the child may be able to write back.
- DO NOT INCLUDE: Used or damaged items; war-related items such as toy guns, knives or military figures; chocolate or food; out-of-date candy; liquids or lotions; medications or vitamins; breakable items such as snow globes or glass containers; aerosol cans.
How to Pack a Shoebox
Use an empty cardboard or plastic shoebox (average size). You can wrap the box, lid separately, but wrapping is not required.
- BOY OR GIRL
Decide whether your gift will be for a boy or a girl, and the age category: 2-4, 5-9, or 10-14. We will provide sticky labels for the boxes when you return them to the church filled for delivery. Just mark the correct age category and attach to the box.
- FILL WITH GIFTS
Fill the box with a variety of gifts that will bring delight to a child (see the Gift suggestions on the left).
- INCLUDE $7 DONATION PER BOX
Help cover shipping and other costs related to delivering your shoeboxes to children overseas by donating $7 for each gift you prepare. You can write a check to Samaritan’s Purse (note “OCC” on the memo line) and place it in an envelope on top of the items inside your shoebox. If you are preparing multiple gifts, please make one combined donation. Note: Follow Your Box is only available through online giving.
Remember to Pray for the children who will receive your shoebox gifts.
- DROP OFF
Place a rubber band around each closed shoebox and bring it to the drop-off location at St. Catherine’s.
In 2016, St. Catherine’s will participate again in Operation Christmas Child, a worldwide effort sponsored by Samaritan’s Purse, to share the love of God through the “shoebox” gifts. This year we will challenge ourselves with 300 boxes, now ready and waiting to be filled. Operation Christmas Child reaches out to children in more than 100 countries and represents, for many, the only way they will receive such a gift and hear the story of God’s love.
Shoeboxes will be available for pickup in the narthex on OCTOBER 15TH and will continue to be available through NOVEMBER 6TH. Boxes should be filled and returned no later than the absolute deadline of SUNDAY, NOVEMBER 13TH.
We encourage you to look at the video and see the information packing your boxes. if you have questions, please contact the OCC coordinators:
Tel: 757.604.1358 or EMAIL
Tel: 832.335.0055 or EMAIL